Tuesday 4 March 2014

Oven baked apple chips





Chips, chips, chips, I love Chips! Miss Vicky's Salt and Vinegar to be exact! This recipe tastes nothing like those, but just the name 'apple chips' had me thinking about them.  Anyway, I do really like crispy snack foods, and especially when I can eat them guilt free. Ali and I have a few other 'chip' recipes to share with you, but I wanted to share this one with you today. I was inspired to make apple chips a couple months after my cousin sent me a picture of the ones she was making for her boys (hers probably came from her apple tree, lucky girl!). This is a really simple way to make a healthy snack, 'treat', or even a great way to use up apples that are going bad.

What you'll need: 
2 Apples, any type will work
Cinnamon, or any spice or your choice 
A mandolin or some fancy knife skills 

Directions: 
Preheat your oven to 225 degrees F.  Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice your apples onto the parchment paper with the mandolin (the thicker the slices the longer you will need to bake the apples) and space them out. I overlap mine a little so I can fit more apples on each sheet (more chips!!) but this tends to make them stick together, which results in you haveing to break the chips apart once they are baked. If you want perfect round apple chips, don't overlap the apples on the sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for approximately 2-2.5 hours or until they are dry and crispy, I overcooked mine a little in these pictures but they still tasted great! 

Enjoy
-M 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!