Sunday 21 February 2016

Healthy Salad Rolls with Peanut Sauce


As I sit here writing this post, my mouth is watering. This is one of my favourite meals, and the fact that I'm hungry does't help. Vietnamese food is one of my favourites, a staple in my diet really, and salad rolls are on the top of the list. This is my version of a vietnamese salad roll, it has some of the same components of a traditional one, but I add a few other ingredients to add some flavour and to make them a bit healthier. 

For the rolls: 
-rice paper wraps 
-rice noodles 
-1/4 of a red cabbage 
-1 red pepper 
-2 large carrots 
-1/2 of a cucumber 
-cilantro 
-1 package of ground chicken or turkey OR 2 chicken breasts OR 6 chicken thighs 
-1/3 of your peanut sauce 

For the sauce: 
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter 
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
-2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
-1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1-2 limes
-1-2 garlic cloves 
- 2 large thumb size pieces of ginger 
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil 
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk 
*this is a rough estimate, I adjust based on taste 

Directions: 
Boil water, and cook the rice noodles (do not overcook them, and as soon as they are soft take them out and put them in cold water). Shred the cabbage (I use a mandolin), grate the carrots, finely chop the cucumber and red pepper, and chop the cilantro. Combine all veggies in a bowl with the cooled noodles. Sautee the ground chicken/turkey with 1/3 of the sauce until fully cooked. To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. 

To put the rolls together start by boiling some water for the wraps. You will dip the wraps in the boiled water (you may want to let it cool a little first), one at a time, lay them flat on a cutting board or flat surface, add veggies and chicken and wrap. I wrap them by folding the sides in first, then one end, then the other. 

Once they are all rolled, use the remaining peanut sauce as a dip, and enjoy! 





^ready to wrap^ 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!