Saturday 13 June 2015

Coastal Driving

Yesterday, we decided to drive south along the coast and stop at a few of the little towns and enjoy the beaches. If you rent a car here I would definetely recommend it as the views were astonishing. It reminded dad of Kelowna with the big pine trees and cliffs along one side of the road and then the ocean along the other side.
We of course had to start the day with our two-tiered breakfast to energize us for the day.

Our first stop was Brela. We didn't look around the town at all, just stopped at this gorgeous rocky beach right off the highway.
We bought cherries, figs and nectarines from the fruit stand lady.  When we went back to finish off the bag of cherries they had cooked on the rocks, which I thought was going to taste gross but they were so good, it was like eating cherry pie.

We then drove on to Makarska, which seemed to be more popular as it was quite busy. 
This was the first thing we saw when we entered the town... a donkey getting loaded onto the ferry, you can kind of see his ears in this picture.
We didn't explore the town here either and headed to the beaches. We first started walking the path to this nude beach (because apparently we are nudists now), which had gorgeous views and took about 30 minutes.
We came across these goats on our walk to the beach.
Dad in his constant zen state. I keep a soothing, rubbing rock from the beach for him when traffic gets too stressful but I am the one that just ends up using it, when we pass on the one lane, winding roads. 
The view of the beach down below
The beach was gorgeous but the water had some plant material in it so we didn't like it as much as some of the other beaches we had been to. It was all fun and games until the guy beside us kept getting turned on by me and the girl on the other side of us. He kept alternating which way his head was turning and I watched him stare from beneath my sunglasses out of the corner of my eye. He kept having to take his swimsuit off and on about 10 times to try and hide his arousal. It was time to leave haha. Dad and I laughed about it as we walked back on the trail...he should have just kept his swimsuit on if he couldn't control himself. 
We headed back on the trail and climbed down these rocks closer to town to our own private location where we lounged on the rocks and jumped into the ocean off of them. 

After a day of lounging we headed back home to Split, where we had dinner at Villa Spiza again. This restaurant is really good but my one complaint is that I find it too salty. It is worth trying but I prefer Figa.
Tonight we had the risotto with seashells, mussels and lamb. It was all very good, I even enjoyed the shells but my lamb had slightly too many fatty pieces that I had to spit out. 
There is also a Street Art Festival here for the next couple of days and there were tons of people out on the Riva, including dancers and singers. These are the types of things I love! All of the artists are using pastels to draw on the pavement for these elaborate pictures.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!