Friday 12 June 2015

Hvar

Yesterday, we headed off in the wee hours of the morning for Hvar. We bought the ticket and the lady told us the boat would be right behind her. There was one boat there that said Split-Brac-Hvar etc but dad said it wasn't that boat because he had looked up what it should look like online. From my experiences in Italy, I knew nothing is ever what it seems to be...sometimes they tell you the ferry is leaving from dock 8 when really it's dock 5 etc. I asked the lady and sure enough that was the ferry we needed to be on.

Since we didn't have time for breakfast, we hurried to find a place as soon as we got off the ferry in Hvar before either of us got h-angry. We pretty much found the first place off the dock that's how hungry we were. It was called Vita and I really wanted to try it because they are into the local food movement, which is mostly a marketing ploy, but it totally works for me. 
I ordered scrambled eggs with "streaked bacon." The eggs and toast were really good but I have to say the bacon tasted like the rind and had hard, crunchy bits that were impossible to chew, so I had to spend time cutting a lot of that out. 
After we just explored town...as per usual we didn't spend a lot of time learning the exact history behind everything but still enjoyed the architecture and views from the fortress. 
All the streets were adorable to walk around in. You cannot capture their beauty in pictures. The stone walls and steps, the gorgeous, pink flower basket hanging, the wooden shutters, all make it such a magical place to walk though. 
We then took a water taxi for 8 dollars there and back to Jerolim-a tiny island just off of Hvar.
Then this happened.... use your imagination. When in Europe, do as the Europeans do. 
This is a view of the beach from a safe distance away haha. It was actually an amazing beach. The restaurant near had almost like pier pieces set up that you could lay on with your towel, or with foamy mattresses they provide...which I did not want to use because who knows what that has touched! The water was the best part, since it was in a cove you were able to swim out more than 100 feet and be protected from waves. It was so refreshing with these plus 30 days we've been having. 
I convinced Dad to walk and explore more of the island but we ended up during around back to the beach because the other beaches didn't seem as nice. 

Once we returned to Hvar we went to Vita and had lunch. As we were sitting we looked over and noticed that around 8 huge yacht boats had arrived and were docked in the port. We had no idea why so many of them were here. As we were waiting to order there were a bunch of obnioxious English boys sitting behind us, who were extremely rude to the waiter and dressed in all white. Dad and I made up stories of who they were and why they came from such expensive yachts, which we later found out.

I ordered a strawberry, mixed berry and banana smoothie, which was really good and we both ordered the spicy chicken wrap. This was so delicious! The creamy, avacado sauce had a slight spice to it that really ramped up the wrap. I will have to try and figure out how to make this once I get home. 
Dad also had the Caprese salad, which I snuck a bit of when he wasn't looking.
A few of the yachts.
After we left the restaurant we noticed a bunch of other people dressed in all white but we were unsure as to who they were still. As we were ordering ice cream (as per daily tradition) I started talking to this guy in line and it ended up he was from Calgary! Such a small world. He said that it is Yacht week and all of them had decided to have a white party and dress in all white. What a perfect day for me to wear my white dress, I fit right in, which proved to be useful later.

Unsure of what to do until waiting for our ferry we rested on some stairs out of the sun, which were actually where the gates enclosing the town were. This caused for perfect people watching as all the tour groups came through and we got free facts on everything. One cool thing I learned was that the plant/flower pot right above my head was actually where they get the little capers off of and then leave them in vinegar for three days to prepare them...or at least I'm pretty sure that's what they were...the tour guide only said one sentance in English and the rest in some other language. 

Wanting to be more in the fun action, rather than near the 80 year old tours we moved back to the harbour and sat on lounge chairs for drinks. A few places down the yacht people were having a huge party, with tons of alcohol and dancing. I watched them from my seat spraying champagne on everyone and dancing up on the ledges.

A couple round of these...
And a few of these...
We stopped after this as Dad said we were getting "too festive."
That was probably a good idea 

Dad and I started to wait in line for the ferry right outside where the Yacht Week party was happening. I  decided that I was wearing white and wouldn't look out of place so I joined the party and dances up in those arches with everyone. They all asked what Yacht I was from and I said I'm not I'm just joining the party. They were so shocked and asked "how did you know to wear white?!!" Dad got a few videos of me dancing in some kind of line they had going around the bar and also up in the arches. I met a skipper from one of the boats who is from South Africa, who was really nice and we chatted as we danced with all the hammered people. 

Then it was time to go back to Split. Dad said I should have stayed and gone on the Yachts with them and he would have just met me where ever I ended up haha.

-A








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!