Thursday 25 June 2015

Last two days in Dubrovnik

When we woke up Wednesday morning, it was very cloudy and thundering.
 The downpour started while we were eating breakfast outside. After breakfast, the rain subsided and we decided to walk through the Old Town and explore on the other side of the walls since we didn't have any plans. Of course the rain started again and we started to get drenched. All the tourists had full plastic bag body suits and umbrellas. We just had our little rain jackets. The funniest thing was a local, old man who didn't have a jacket on wearing a clear plastic bag you get from the vegetable section of the supermarket on his bald head. I wish I had gotten a picture but my purse was wrapped up under my rain jacket. 
Dad and I stopped for a second so he could tighten the back of my rain jacket hat and some ladies had massive, telescopic cameras taking pictures of us and giggling. Dad gave them his business card so they could email us the picture.
We decided to turn back to the hotel and get manicures. 
After our manicures, the rain and clouds had completely disappeared and it was boiling hot again.
I'm not girly enough for nail colours, I smudged the colour 5 minutes after. 
We then set off to find this cave beach we saw the day before on the ferry home from Lokrum. The receptionist suggested we did not go to it because it was hard to get to but we wanted to anyways.
There's the cave around the corner.
I tried to get it to it from this side. But I'd have to swim and Dad had the backpack.
We then asked at another hotel from the other side of the cave and they said it was private property but said we could try from their beach front. I ended up scaling this rock wall about 15 feet overhanging a cliff, with some rocks and water below. I'd have to aim well if I fell. Luckily, once I scaled around one side of the wall Dad couldn't see me anymore, otherwise he'd be freaking out that I'd fall. Once I had gotten that far, there was no connection to the other rocks attached to the cave so I had to turn back. I guess all of the other people had reached it by boat. 
We gave up and went to our hotel beach. 

Later that evening we were going to check out a new restaurant, but after looking at the menu we both just wanted to go back to Taj Mahal and have our massive meal. We had the same thing as the day before and I got some more of the amazing baclava to take home because I was way too full to eat it there. Since we had come three days in a row they already knew us and gave us some amazing honey liquor as a little gift. I forgot my jacket and one of the waiters ran out "Hey Lady, you forgot this." Dad and I just love how they say lady here.
We went for a night swim.

For Thursday, we planned to visit the island Mljet. Wednesday night, we both had a poor sleep because the wind starting gusting at over 30 km/hr at 3 am and Dad woke up to retrieve his socks from the balcony. When we woke up Thursday morning, exhausted, it was still cloudy and windy and Dad said we probably shouldn't go to Mljet, so we crawled back into bed for a few more hours. When we woke up again it was of course beautiful outside. Missed out on Mljet, apparently the most gorgeous island :(. 
It was crazy with tourists in Dubrovnik since a couple of cruise ships had docked that morning so we headed off for some peace and quiet on Lokrum. 
I came prepared with some bread this time to give to my friends, the peacocks (well I used some from Dad's sandwich heehee). 
Hello sir.

Either we weren't paying attention two days ago, or in the past two days all the babies were born, as their were little cheeping peacocks following their mothers.
We explored for a bit before heading to the beach. 
Dad didn't like me near the edge.
An ancient artifact we found. Dad and I pretended it was a foot or a tool like a garden hoe or axe. 
Time to lounge on our rock beach.

For dinner, we headed to Restaurant Dubrovnik. 
This was our amuse-bouche, a stick of bread, I think coloured with squid ink, and tomato and cheese covered in olive oil.
We shared the cauliflower risotto with salted and cured tuna roe and lobster tail
Dad had the Gregada specialty from Hvar-fish fillet, clams and prawn tails stew with potatoes and root vegetables (not my cup of tea but Dad said it was delicious)
I had the deer medallion wrapped in bacon with an herb crust, sweet red cabbage and a roasted pear.
It was really good and not gamey at all.
The best was the dessert.
Puff pastry filled with figs cooked in red wine. It was so light and fluffy, I could've eaten 10.

The next morning, it was time to head to Italy for one day before we began our journey home :(

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!